Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Be My Valentine Mold Set Tutorial


Valentine's Day will soon be here! The next project is from Rachel Daniel-Scott and features molds from our holiday category, specifically Valentine's Day.



 










Hello, my name is Rachel Daniel-Scott, owner of Rachel's Creative Confections and I am new to Decorate The Cake's Blog. It's my pleasure to be here and included among some of the greatest cake decorating talent I have ever seen.

My project to test for all of you is the "Be My Valentine" silicone assorted hearts mold set. Valentines Day is one of my favorite holidays, second only to Halloween. Its a holiday of delights for any artist in the confection industry. I chose to make a small round cake and some cupcakes using a 50/50 mixture of fondant and gum paste in the molds.

Supplies you will need for this project:


  • your silicone molds
  • non stick cooking spray or shortening
  • pallet knife
  • artist brushes
  • toothpicks
  • luster dust & small mixing dish
  • small amount of vodka or extract
  • fondant, gum paste, or molding chocolate
  • silicone mat or wax paper

  • gel or liquid colors to tint

    First I used the color to tint my fondant and gum paste mixture. I used popular Valentines Day colors of shades of pink, purples, red and white. I sprayed the molds lightly with non stick cooking spray and with a gloved finger rubbed the inside crevices, as these molds have some very intricate designs.

Second I rolled small balls of my fondant gum paste

mixture and pressed gently into the molds.




The molds were easy to work with and the designs turned out very well. If any fondant became stuck in the mold I would gently use a toothpick to clean it out, respray with the non stick spray and mold it again. To release from the mold I just gently pulled the edge away, flipped them and the finished hearts would practically fall out into my hands.

(Note: I did have 2 stubborn hearts, the smallest script "Be Mine" and the "Sweet Heart", their designs are so tiny and intricate that I had to put them in the freezer for about ten minutes to keep from breaking off the tiny little dots , dashes , and swirls")


I started out with single colors and then began to layer the colors.

Some of the molds I filled partially to leave off the background edge to give a different look.










The 2.5 inch hearts came out lovely, but the mini hearts were my personal favorite and were just begging to embellish cupcakes.

After molding I placed all of the hearts on a cookie sheet to dry and harden overnight.









The next morning I used my luster powders (silver and gold) some dry and others with a few drops of vodka to make a paint in the small mixing dish for thicker coverage. I highlighted all of the design areas, edges and script using very light strokes of the artists brushes.. They look amazing.














I allowed them to dry for another 4 to 6 hours, then began assembling my cakes. I frosted the cupcakes with pink and lavender tinted butter cream, added sprinkles and the mini hearts for embellishments. I frosted a small round with bright pink butter cream adhering some of the hearts to the sides of the cake with royal icing. I also added piped scrolls and swirls with tiny fondant heart cut outs on the sides of the cake. Then for the top of the cake I placed 3 of the cupcakes along with the rest of the hearts which I glued together in a ring with royal icing.

Overall it was a very fun and cute project. I love the heart molds and their versatility. They could also be used to make molded chocolate toppers for heart shaped cookies or molded gelatin treats.

Thank you for allowing me to be a part of Decorate The Cakes Blog and use your fantastic products. Happy decorating everyone !







1 comment:

  1. wish I found this site and blog before valentines day, which is Monday boo hoo, well there is alwyas next year.

    ReplyDelete