Monday, July 14, 2014

Making realistic tree bark





I started with ivory fondant that I then added extra AmeriColor ivory to darken it. 

Then using the Oak Tree Texture Mat I rolled out a section at a time to cover the cake. 



I place the fondant over the mat and roll until I can barely see the texture through the mat. 


Then I flipped the whole thing over and peeled off the texture mat. 


I then cut the sections to the height of the cake plus approximately 1/4".  Using some "glue" of your choice attach to your cake. I just used water to attach to my buttercream. 

I forgot to get a photo of the sections on the cake prior to dusting.  So, here is one on the table showing how I dusted.

To color I used Penzey's Spices Dutch Process Cocoa powder -- any cocoa powder or a brown petal dust will work -- along with some corn starch to get the variegated colors you want. 



Blend the two items together and brush on the cake with a nice fluffy brush.  Making variations in the colors as you dust will make the cake look more natural.  ** Emailed question -- Which direction did you brush on the the color to get the best natural coloration?  Answer -- I didn't brush in any particular direction.  I brushed with the bark grain, sideways, in circles -- basically I was ubber messy in my dusting.  This of course required major cleanup on the board -- but a little Everclear on a napkin and it wiped up nicely.

As you can see in the photo below the left half is the undusted original fondant piece and right half has been dusted with the cocoa powder/corn starch. 





DTC Products Used:
Oak Tree Bark Large

Similar DTC Products:
Pear Tree Bark

Don't like fondant and want to use the mat with some buttercream?  Check out the this blog Silicone Texture Mats and Buttercream

No comments:

Post a Comment