Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Let it snow!


The supplies:

- Silicone snowflake mold
- Isomalt stick from Cake Play
- Hot pot for melting isomalt
- Silicone cupcake liner - I use it to melt the isomalt
- Some fun cake sprinkles
- Snowflake quins
- Blow torch - not in pic


First I broke up the isomalt stick and placed it in the silicone cup. Microwave in 15-20 second increments until all melted.


Sprinkle some of the red sugar and snowflake quins into the mold.  Carefully pinch the silicone cup - be gentle and cautious so that you do not spill the hot isomalt on your fingers.  Pour a steady stream into the mold.

Set mold aside for a bit to cool and firm up.


Once set and barely warm to the touch begin to gently pull the silicone away from the isomalt.


On this particular mold I was worried about the centers pulling through the isomalt so I gave it some help.



When removed from the mold there were tiny surface imperfections.  To fix this I got out my trusty blow torch and very quickly ran it over the surface.



 Let the snowflake sit and cool for a bit before touching.

One way to display the snowflake - loop a string through and let it hang.  Doesn't it sparkle?


You can use the melting pot - with a broken isomalt stick melted to dip the bottom of the snowflake....


Set the snowflake where you want it and hold still while it cools.

ooohhhh  shiny!



Products used:
Snowflake #2
Snowflake #1

1 comment:

  1. Very impressive. I'm adding that snowflake mold to my wish list!

    ReplyDelete