Friday, July 23, 2010

Fishy Fishy - Take Two

Glenda Stockwell created an asian themed cake using the koi fish mold.



I loved this mold the moment Melissa showed it to me!

To create the koi I used fondant mixed with tylose. I firmly pressed the fondant into the mold and smoothed over the back with the palm of my hand. The mold then went into the freezer for about 15-20 minutes -- one I forgot about and it was in for a good hour with no damage done. I then let the fish sit and dry for a few days - this step wasn't necessary but I was busy so they had to wait. I used the all-mighty google image search to look for koi coloring and then using everclear and petal dust I painted the designs on my koi. Then I used a pearl sheen airbrush color and lightly airbrushed each --- this didn't show up that great in the pics but I liked the look in person.

I marbled the fondant for the cake and board --didn't look as marbled on the cake as it was on the board. Then stenciled an asian symbol that should read "peace" according to the stencil manufacturer but according to my friend it is not peace and he's not sure what symbol it is. Bamboo looking fondant pieces form the border. The bamboo was dusted with browns and greens.

For the top of the cake I create a water lily looking flower. I didn't have cutters or veiner so I just kinda winged it.



I hope you enjoy using this mold and make sure to share your pics!

Glenda

Products Used:





No comments:

Post a Comment